B-36 Peacemaker Museum evolved from a dedicated group of individuals who restored the last B-36 "City of Fort Worth". After restoration, the group began efforts to raise funds and support to display the mighty bomber inside a facility as required by the National Museum of the United States Air Force . Adequate funds and support were not raised in time and the Air Force sent the restored B-36 to the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson, Arizona. After the departure of the airplane, the group decided to carry on with the B-36 Museum to tell the story and history of the B-36 and to carry its' legacy forward.
The City of Fort Worth and Meacham Field provided space in the terminal to develop a small museum pertaining to the B-36 and aviation history in North Texas. Displays were slow in developing and the space was taken back for commercial use. The OV-10 Bronco Association / Forward Air Controller Museum had been in discussion with the city of Fort Worth about the use of an old school and property located on the south end of Meacham Field. The B-36 group had close ties to the OV-10 Bronco Association, as they had restored the association's original OV-10 Mock-Up. Based on this, B-36 Peacemaker Museum was offered space in the facility to carry out its mission of telling the story of the B-36, and the people who designed, maintained and flew the airplane. In addition, the history of Air Force Plant 4 and the aircraft that have been manufactured there are featured.
Special exhibit items such as a rare 1923 dirigible engine, propellers from an early B-36, a 1950's era pressure suit and the flight control computer from a B-58 Hustler supersonic bomber are displayed.
Future plans are to spotlight other company's aircraft/helicopters manufactured in North Texas.
B-36 Peacemaker Museum sponsors a monthly lecture series featuring speakers from all areas of aviation. The meetings are free and are held at the University of North Texas Health Science Center located at the corner of Camp Bowie and Montgomery streets in Fort Worth. Meetings are held on the third Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p. m. Watch for our ad in the Saturday Star-Telegram or go to the LECTURE PAGE on this website